Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saturday Afternoon Films


“When drinking water, remember its source.” Chinese proverb

“The fact that there is a positive side to life is the one thing that gives me a lot of happiness. This world is not perfect. There are problems. But things like happiness and unhappiness are relative. Realizing this gives you hope.” Dalai Lama

“I can believe anything provided it is incredible.“ Oscar Wilde

Being the only girl among four brothers my Dad wasn’t quite sure what to do with me until he discovered I was a huge tomboy. He was thrilled to find out that I was more then willing to go out and play football with him. I can still throw a mean football and the hero picture on my wall is a signed picture of Joe Montana. He also taught me baseball and softball. We watched a lot of shows together that we both liked. I remember seeing a lot of Westerns like Bonanza and Gunsmoke and his favorite Have Gun, Will Travel. Dad and I also like spy shows with The Avengers and Secret Agent being our favorites. We even made it through Patrick McGoohan’s very enigmatic The Prisoner. We had our fun shows to watch too including Batman and The Green Hornet. I was especially entranced by the last show as it was my introduction to Oriental martial arts with Bruce Lee starring as Kato. We also watched the incredibly hokey but fun Kung Fu with David Carridine. I introduced Dad to Doctor Who.

Over the years I have developed a fondness for martial arts movies. I took a couple of months of martial arts until it became obvious that a very dodgy back was not going to let me continue. One of my brothers went on to get a second degree black belt it hapkido. We got each other hooked on martial arts films. When I lived in California we had a cable channel that would show martial arts films in Cantonese with Mandarin subtitles. I had no idea what was going on but I watched them for the fight sequences any way.

I really liked Bruce Lee’s Enter the Dragon. Later my brother got me into some of the Chuck Norris films. My favorite was probably An Eye for an Eye mainly because it had the wonderful Christopher Lee and I will watch really bad films if Mr. Lee is in them. He is one of my favorite performers. I don’t know how I first saw Jackie Chan but after watching Rumble in the Bronx I was hooked. I had the pleasure of turning my brother onto the films as well as my Dad before he passed away.

One of my favorite films of all times is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. A Chinese nurse friend of mine and I corresponded extensively after seeing the film. I made sure my brother got to see it. I have always been fascinated by the fantasy elements in Chinese stories and this movie had that in abundance. The fight sequences in the film were fantastic.

When I want to destress though nothing does it for me like the Jackie Chan films. I think my favorites are Who Am I, Supercop with the incredible Michelle Yeoh matching him martial arts for martial arts, and the one with the most incredible fight sequences Legend of Drunken Master. I first saw that film in the original Chinese version with English subtitles. It was the film I showed my brother when he came to visit with his new fiancée a couple of years ago.

In a time when there is so much trouble and heartache going on in the world you have to find a way to destress. For me the movies of Jackie Chan are the way to do it. My second favorite Christmas gift was from my brother who sent me The Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Yes it does borrow from Star Wars and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the plot is a bit thin in spots but be honest the real reason we slog through the beginning of the film is to get to the Jackie Chan and Jet Li fight sequence. It doesn’t disappoint.


I’ll be putting on a Jackie Chan film this afternoon after I slog through the Wal-Mart crowd doing my Mom’s shopping. I may even play with my favorite Christmas gift while doing watching. My niece sent me the Stargate Atlantis action figure of Colonel John Shepherd.


No comments: