Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Doors

Have you ever wondered if inanimate objects could speak what would they say? The house I live in has several doors but I mainly use the side door that leads to where I park my car. My cat Merlin yells at this door when I leave as if it is the door's fault that I have to go out to work, the doctor, the store or where ever it is I am going. If the door could talk I'd imagine it would say something on the line of "why are you yelling at me silly cat it isn't my fault your mommy has to leave. I'm just doing my job."

How many doors that have been slammed would like to yell "hey don't take your bad mood out on me!" Or how about the doors that get kicked open or shut because our hands are full who would love to yell "Ouch! That hurts. Why don't you make an extra trip rather then kicking me?"

Sometimes as I observe people in this daily life I think that we treat people like doors. The cashiers, paper boys, operators, etc. that we encounter in our daily lives become inanimate objects that suddenly are supposed to be bereft of feelings. How often do you hear the words "thank you" being said to someone who serves you? I know they get paid to help but shouldn't we still be polite to them. I know my parents always said that the magic words were please and thank you.

People rush through their daily lives and rarely see the humans that they encounter. Often times they think no more of them then they would a door. They are there to be used. I think this would be a much nicer world if we would take the time to realize that those who serve are people too. The reverse is also true customers are people also. Everyone deserves a please and thank you. After all magic words can get something equally magical in return. You can receive a smile. A smile can light up your day.

 

No comments: