Saturday, January 7, 2006

Sometimes It Is The Little Things

Sometimes it is the little things in life that make things work. I got around to balancing my checkbook, something I normally do as I make a purchase, but somehow in the Christmas rush I didn't get around to it until today. I made a major error in writing down a bank transfer from savings to checking on Christmas Eve and then forgot to make the transfer on line. Two checks that hadn't been cashed yet saved the account from being overdrawn.

A part that cost less then $5.00 means I can listen to my music at anytime without worrying about waking up my mother or my brother. A small part that allows me to listen to my headsets broke down so the headset wouldn't stay in the CD player. So now I can rock out to U2 without my Mom who listens to "little old lady music" and my brother who is strictly classical not being disturbed by my rocking out to Bono and band.

A couple of years ago I was getting ready to walk into the mall when a boy about 10 ran ahead of me to open the doors. He was accompanied by his Dad. I smiled and thanked the boy and turned to his Dad and told him with a smile "your son is a real gentleman." I will never forget the smile on the Dad's face. You could tell that six little words from a stranger had made his day. I can still see the smiles on both of their faces to this day.

I was kidding my Mom that for a free cat Merlin sure costs a lot of money. No amount of money though could make up for the pleasure I have gotten out of him. The way he brightens up my Mom's life is without price. So I guess the premium litter, cat food, bottled water and toys are worth it. He may be spoiled rotten but he is my spoiled rotten cat.

Little things can make a big difference in this world.

No comments: