Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Coming Soon

I use to run a science fiction convention in the 80s and 90s. Last night I dreamed that I was giving someone advice on how to do a convention. It was a very good period in my life and it isn't any surprise that it is a theme that manifests itself into my dreams now and then. Upon awakening I thought about it some and decided that maybe it was time to write down advice to new comers on exactly what to expect and how to organize and run a successful convention. I made a start this morning and have the overview done. I'll post The Ultimate Con Guide on my web site when finished. I want to do some web research and make sure I have some good links for people to use. I'm a bit surprised that I hadn't thought of doing something like this before. I am usually very good at passing on knowledge that can help others. I do a lot of that at work. I think the idea had been percolating in my mind and the dream was the nudge I needed to make it happen.

We have a new computer system at work and it has been a nightmare. It is inadequate and all of us had minimal training. We are constantly trying to find where information is in the new system and how to do our jobs. It is frustrating because there are so many fixes that need to be programmed in before the system will work. One of my coworkers is very reluctant to pass on things she has discovered. She doesn't like to share.

What is it about some people that sharing is so difficult? As a child it was drummed into me that I was supposed to share and I usually did although to be honest sometimes very reluctantly if it was one of my favorite toys. For some people though the whole concept of sharing is difficult. I think with some people they are afraid that if they share people will come to depend on them and they don't want anyone depending on them. They fear their independence. Some people just aren't inclined to help others. They are lacking in compassion.

I think some people refuse to share because they are very materialistic. What is mine is mine and hands off is their attitude. Money may not buy happiness but they aren't going to take any chances. In the end though it won't matter how rich you are. God isn't going to look at your bank account, s/he is going to look at your life account. How did you spend your life? Did you help others? Did youshow compassion and caring for those who were not as well off as you? What type of person were you? Cold hard cash will not buy your way into Heaven although it could pave your way into Hell if you aren't careful.

The picture is of "Paddy" the baby unicorn who was first drawn as the logo for my convention.

No comments: