Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Nice To Know

I received an email today from one of the nurses at my old job. She was saying how much they all miss me and wish I was still their customer service rep because I was the best. It really made me feel good that even after two years I am remembered fondly.

I have always been amused by the bumper sticker He who dies with the most toys wins. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think how you will be remembered is the most important thing. So a person dies a multi millionaire is that what people are going to remember about them? I don't think so. People will remember if they used that wealth to help others less fortunate then themselves or if they used their wealth solely for personal gratification. What you do is more important then what you have.

One of the things I really learned to dislike about my ex was his constant need to have what was new even if we couldn't afford it or needed it. He was constantly buying things and putting them on my credit cards because he had no credit. I ended up stuck with the bills and filed bankruptcy because of him. He ended up with all of the "stuff" because there was little that I really wanted. I came out of the marriage with essentially the same things I went into it with. For me things have a meaning if they are associated with someone I cared about. Some of my favorite clothes were given to me by friends at a time when the company changed their dress code and I was in the middle of paying off a bankruptcy lawyer. They knew I didn't have the money to buy a new wardrobe so they went through theirs and gave me huge sacks full of really nice clothes. They cared about me and that made the clothes all the more special.

What it all comes down to is giving. You will be remembered for what you gave of yourself and your time as well as your money. I want to be remembered as someone who cared about others and did what I could to help those less fortunate then myself. I want to be remembered for my heart not my bank book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to remembered as God's gift to writing and comedy, in that order.