Monday, January 21, 2008

Monday Musings

"Be not afraid of growing slowly. Be afraid of standing still." Chinese proverb

In the Sunday papers they had a strip where the sister was sitting at her computer trying to figure out what she wanted to write on the topic "I had a dream" and her brother was making a pithy comment about wanting to have a starlet after him. It was humorous but it also got me thinking.

What kinds of dreams would I like to see? After being on the Internet for a few years now I would definitely like to see some people shut up until they learn how to express themselves without the profanity. I would like to see a lot less knee jerk political garbage. I would like to see a lot less of the name calling. I would actually like to see people think for a change.

I would like to see some people outgrow their prejudices. I get tired of the disparaging remarks every Martin Luther King Day. Some people fail to remember that their own ancestors faced prejudice when they came over to this country. Martin Luther King tried to make change peacefully. People fail to realize just how bad the prejudice was and that those freedoms had to be fought for all over again.

As a person with a lot of gay friends I would like to see people realize that gays are humans just like the rest of us. They laugh. They cry. They love. They work. They have lives where they do the same things as all the rest of us. They are human beings. They need to be treated with the same respect that any other man or woman wants to treated with.

I would like people to actually pay attention to what scientists are saying. I get tired of “oh that's just Al Gore I'm a Republican so I don't need to listen to anything he says about global warming.” Okay how about you read what the scientists are saying? Get the politics out of the environment and start taking care of this planet. I'm sorry folks but this is all we have. We destroy this planet there is no where else we can go. We need to protect and clean up our environment.

Most of all I dream of humans learning to accept their differences but still embracing their humanity. We are one people. One world. Let's start learning to get along.

The picture is called Jade's Dragon.

The real counter is 6664

No comments: