Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

"When a man begins to have a vision larger than his own truth ... he begins to become conscious of his moral nature." Rabindranath Tagore

"Live as though you were already dead." Zen saying

The major thing I have wanted to do for the last few days is sleep. The cold won't go away. Unfortunately I had to work a half day Saturday. I don't know why we bothered because we are still no where close to catching up on the refunds the Board is whining about. Oh well I can use the money.

Two things colored my world these last few days one good, one negative. On Friday I talked with my grandniece for an hour while she interviewed me for her class project. It was an interesting experience going over things in my life and trying to explain my life to a thirteen year old. I think everyone should take the time to go over old memories and cherish the good ones. There are things that stand out in my life when I go over it the way I did on Friday evening.

On Saturday one of my coworkers was complaining that gay people use the rainbow as a symbol and that they have taken something beautiful and sullied it. What arrogant nonsense!

The rainbow is a symbol of God's love for everyone and gays have just as much right to use it as a symbol as anyone else. The small minded bigotry in this town drives me nuts. I am a product of the West Coast and theater. I was helped by several gay men when I was trying to get out of an abusive marriage.  I have had gay friends die of AIDS. I cherish my gay friends.

If you are going to call yourself Christian like this woman does then you should follow Christ's teachings. Two to keep in mind at all times are "Love thy neighbor as thyself" and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Christ did not teach hatred and we should not allow hatred in our hearts if we are going to follow him.

The picture is called Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

The real counter is 6638.

No comments: