Thursday, February 21, 2008

Age

"You wander from room to room hunting for the diamond necklace that is already around your neck!" Djalal ad-Din Rumi

I came back from lunch yesterday to be greeted with "you're old" by some of the people I work with. It turns out I am next to the oldest in the office. Big deal! The other woman who is older then I am works to help people get the assistance they need to live and pay their medical bills. Both of us look younger then the people gloating about how old we are.

I look back over what I have accomplished in my life and wouldn't change my age for the world. I have raised thousands of dollars for charity. I have worked at jobs where I have earned the respect and love of people because I have helped others to live a better life.

I have acted and sung on stage. I have worked with big name actors, directors, producers, and writers and earned their respect. I have run what one guest called "the premier science fiction convention" in the United States. I am respected in the science fiction community.

I have had my writings published in an on line magazine and been honored as “writer of the month.” I have won awards for my art. I am accepted in the art community. I have fans all over the world.

I have the love and respect of family and friends. I have stayed true to myself and my beliefs.

I have done more in my life then all of them put together and there is still more to come.  As the old song says “I am woman hear me roar.” There is a lot of life in me and I intend to live it to the fullest.

The picture is called “Jealousy” and that is all that those women have going for them in their lives. How pathetic.

No comments: