Saturday, February 16, 2008

Saturday Such As It Is

"Give with faith, and never without faith. Give with humility. Give with joy. And give with understanding of the effects of your gift." The Upanishads

The last couple of days have seen the deaths of a couple of favorites of mine, actor Roy Scheider and comic book artist Steve Gerber.

Although Roy Scheider is best remembered for his performance in Jaws my favorite performance of his was in the Bob Fosse film All That Jazz. Bob Fosse was a brilliant choreographer and All That Jazz was directed by him and based on his life story. Roy Scheider was absolutely brilliant in the part. It is a movie that doesn't appeal to all tastes but for someone whose background is in theater, it is one of my favorite films.

Steve Gerber created the cult favorite Howard the Duck. I normally don't go for comics that much but Howard the Duck really captured my fancy. It was weird, funny and a little on the subversive side. For someone that a colleague described as "a little out there" it was definitely my type of comic.

I was amused at the description of a colleague as my being "a little out there." I am well aware of the fact that the people in this little small Midwestern town find my involvement in art and science fiction as a bit weird. Sometimes I feel as if I am in a time warp and landed back in the 50s. I really miss the conventions and people with interest in my fields. It is one of the reasons that I will not be making a permanent home here. After Mother goes I will probably move down to the Winston-Salem area of North Carolina to be closer to my niece and her family.

I am putting the finishing touches on my St. Patrick's Day picture for this year. I normally have it finished before now but just couldn't think up something this year. Last night an idea came to me and I really like it.

This picture is called Emerald Sea.

The real counter is 6767.

 

No comments: