Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Quotes Part 1

Between the latest McAfee download knocking me off of AOL and my cold just plain knocking me out it has been a while since I've been here. I'm going to try something a little different. I found a lot of good quotes these past few days and thought I'd explore them and how they can apply to life.

"In spring, hundreds of flowers; in autumn, the harvest moon; in summer, a refreshing breeze; in winter, snow will be there with you. If useless thoughts do not lurk in your mind any season is a good season for you." Thirteenth-century Chinese Koan

We have been getting clobbered with winter and more snow is coming in. Of course that means there are lots of complaints about the weather. There is nothing that can be done with the weather so why keep complaining? I think the amount of whining at work is really excessive. Some people are never ever happy. You can find beauty any where you are if you are willing to look.

“When I look at birds and animals, their survival is without rules, without conditions, without organization… That’s nature.” Dalai Lama

Nature works. Things made by man don’t always work. We have a computer system at work that doesn’t work and they keep adding more and more code to the program and the system gets worse and worse. We are at the point where we really need to cut our losses and go elsewhere with a system that does work and learn to adapt to it rather then throwing more money at a broken system. Nature just automatically evolves and survives. It doesn’t over think everything to death. We can learn a lot from nature.

“Pleasure is a freedom-song, But it is not freedom. It is the blossoming of your desires, But it is not the fruit.” Kahlil Gibran

I am a huge fan of the writings of Kahlil Gibran. I was introduced to his writings by looking through my Dad’s library.  I think the quest for pleasure is sometimes looking in the wrong direction. A coworker is always whining about hating work however their are many people who would love to have her job. Instead of whining about how you hate to work you should be thankful you have a job and can support yourself. My job supports my writing and my art and that is a good thing.

The picture is called Winter Wonderland because more snow is coming in.

The real counter is 6799

No comments: