Thursday, May 4, 2006

Castles Made of Sand

Today is going to be a very long day for my family. On this day in 1999 we lost our father. He was planting a bush in the front yard and keeled over and was dead from a massive heart attack before he hit the ground. It has been seven years but it still feels like yesterday. I miss him very much. As an only daughter Dad and I were very close.

I wrote a poem a few years ago that my Dad loved. He told me that this poem was how he felt about his life. It is called "Castles Made of Sand." Here's to you Dad. Your castles did stand the test of time and are still in our hearts. I love you.

 

 

Castles Made of Sand

 

I don't know where I'm going,

And I don't know where I am.

I've been following this dream so long

That I can barely stand.

I don't know what tomorrow brings

Or what the fates have planned,

I can only wait and see

If my castles are made of sand.

 

Dreams are made of clouds

And waves with silvery crests.

Dreams are made of star dust

And touch with a warm caress.

Dreams are made of love

And hopes you can't forget.

Dreams can keep you going

When there is nothing left.

 

My dreams have kept me going

Through long and lonely years.

Dreams have kept my faith alive

And dried my many tears.

But dreams are gone by morning

And daylight brings new fears,

That my castle walls will crumble

And leave me standing here.

 

 

My castles may be made of sand

And won't stand the test of time.

At least I dared to dream

And the memories are all mine.

For if you can not dream,

If you dare not cross the line

Into hopes and promises

Both subtle and sublime;

Your life will be as empty

As that lonely stretch of land,

Without even the beauty

Of a castle made of sand.

 

No comments: