Thursday, July 6, 2006

Happy 80th Birthday

My mother marks a milestone today as it is her 80th birthday. With her bad heart it is amazing that she is here to see this day. I am giving her the latest Dean Koontz novel since she loves his books. I also made a "newsletter" to celebrate this day. The big news story on the day she was born was about a patent being given for a humane beaver trap. As much as she loves animals that is a fitting story for the day. The Cubs actually won on this day 80 years ago. I have greetings from family and my friends from around the world in the "Letters to the Editor."

It is amazing to realize how much she has seen in these 80 years. She saw World War II, went through the anxiety as a young bride waiting for her husband to return from his tour of duty in the Far East. She went through the great depression. She has seen the world of technology explode from just radio in her day to television and the Internet. She now uses a computer, something that she never dreamed of when she was a child.

She has seen a lot of heartache. She has buried both parents and all but one of her siblings. She has coped with the loss of the only man she ever loved, my Dad.

She has also known a lot of joy in her life. She has five children, one grandchild, and three great-grandchildren. She has rejoiced in our triumphs and been there to wipe the tears when things have gone wrong.

So here's to you mother. Have the greatest of birthdays today. Today as in all days I want you to know I love you with all my heart.

The picture is called "Call of the Wild" and I use it today because mother loves this picture.

 

No comments: