Monday, July 3, 2006

Unexpected

I have mentioned before that a particularly nasty troll has been plaguing one on my favorite newsgroups for close to three years. He has turned what was once a fun and mentally challenging group into an ordeal. A friend just posted a message that the ISP that this troll posts from has decided that because of the abuse they are going to monitor all of the messages that come from their ISP to our newsgroup. Finally an ISP that is going to take some responsibility for their members. While I support freedom of speech I also feel that there has to be responsibility taken for what is said. You can't yell fire in a crowded theatre for example. For too long the Internet has been a place where anonymous people feel that they can hide behind made up names and attack and slander whomever they wish. It is good to see an ISP finally realize that freedom of speech does not give a person the right to trample the rights of others. Freedom has responsibilities that go along with it. Our forefathers knew that and they were prepared to give their lives if necessary to see that our freedoms were guaranteed at a time when they were being trampled on.

I was in a rather strange mood the other evening and had been talking to friends on the Prisoner newsgroup. This picture popped into my head. Where do the clones and the Rovers come from I wondered? I figured that there had to be a nursery for them. Nursery is what I decided to call the picture.

 

No comments: