Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hmmmmm

"To set up what you like against what you don't like - this is the disease of the mind." Sengstan

This may be a little more Zen then my sleep deprived mind can cope with this morning. I'm pouring the caffeine down as fast as I can. A couple more days on the medicines and hopefully my sleep pattern can reassert itself as I'm not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box on only a couple hours of sleep which is what I'm managing at the moment.

Upon looking at my quote for the day I can see through the fog a meaning. I think many of us unwittingly set up conflicts in our life. We feel we "must" do certain things even though we don't like them. A lot of this would do with setting unreasonable plans for ourselves. People choose a profession that they can make money at but something they absolutely hate. If the ultimate goal is "I'll make a pile of money and then get out and enjoy myself" by the time that money is made you are so shriveled inside that you no longer have the capacity to really enjoy anything. If a job that made less money but provided an enormous amount of job satisfaction had been pursued instead then your life would have had happiness all along.

I am one of those people who really don't need the biggest and best and newest all the time. I don't find my happiness in the material things. I enjoy the things I have but I will stay with the older things that have served me well rather then getting something new just for the sake of it being new. I love music but my system is a small little thing that fits in the space I have to put it in. For me though it is the music itself that is the joy.

Life is too short to be setting up conflicts for yourself. I feel life is best lived when you understand what it is that makes you happy on the inside. Do something you love with your life. You know the old saying "money can't buy happiness."

The picture is called "The Door To Your Dreams."

No comments: