Friday, August 11, 2006

We Made It

We are finally approaching the weekend. Eight hours of insanity and then I can decompress for two days.

Friday night is my only real TV night since it has Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. I am a real fan of both shows and no not just because they have some real cute eye candy for the ladies in the presence of Ben Browder and Joe Flannigan and coming back for a few episodes Richard Dean Anderson.

Both shows are touching subjects that while based in science fiction can also be seen as allegories in real life. SG-1 is dealing with a race of beings called the Ori who want to be worshiped as gods and their followers are true fanatics. You either worship their god or be destroyed. We can see in the real life how fanatical adherence to a religious idea can and does lead to horror and bloodshed.

Atlantis deals with a race called the Wraith who suck the life out of humans to live. They live by destroying others. Again in real life we can see how day to day struggles can suck the emotional strength out of a person leaving them a spirit less shell. I sometimes feel that this job of mine is doing that. I come home so weary especially now that I'm trying to recover from two illnesses.

I feel that it is important for every individual to really examine their own lives and see what part s/he allows externals to control their lives. It is important to have a good relation with God but make sure the teachings you are following are God's and not the ideas of a flawed man trying to interpret God into his own skewered way of looking at life. It is also important that you have something in your life that can reenergize you when the day to day living gets you down. For me that is my art and writing and reading. I just finished Dean Koontz's The Husband last night and again marveled at the talent of that man. Tonight I'll kick back for a couple of hours and watch my sci-fi.

The picture is called "The Gate" because it is Stargate night.

 

No comments: