Wednesday, December 7, 2005

So I'm A Geek Deal With It

It isn't easy growing up different. I was one of those weird people who thought school was for learning. I wasn't all that fond of school sports. You could find me at the debate club rather than the pep rallies. I was more interested in national politics than school politics.

Then as now I loved science fiction and fantasy. I was the dreamer who cheered when we landed on the moon and cheered again when Rover landed on Mars. I fully support the space race with its quest for knowledge. I cringe at attempts to suppress knowledge and replace it with superstition. I believe in God but I believe in a God that's powerful enough that he can use science to do his creation. Even if you take creation all the way back to the primordial atom you still have God. Where do you think that atom came from if not God? I find a God powerful enough to create an atom that starts it all infinitely more satisfying then one who has to make things one piece at a time.

I love science in all its complexity. I believe there is life on other planets. It would be a foolish waste to think this universe just contained us. Sometimes looking at mankind you wonder about our intelligence but God doesn't make junk.

I love the Lord of the Rings, Star Trek and Star Wars. I can converse for hours about them with fellow geeks. I love science fiction conventions. I use to run one. My desk has a computer made to my specifications, a digital camera, a camera cell phone and a pocket PC. Card carrying member of Geeks R Us.

Being a geek however doesn’t mean that I have to let my body go and wear nothing but jeans and T-shirts and no makeup. A shallow star once asked me why so many unattractive people are in fandom. The answer is simple because growing up we were told we didn’t fit in with the beautiful people crowd at school. We were the brainiacs. We were supposed to look dorky. That isn’t true. We can and should take pride in our bodies as well as our minds. We should maintain a healthy weight. We should avail ourselves to hair stylists, makeup and beautiful clothes. We have just as much a right to look good physically as the "beautiful in-crowd." After all we are the brains of society. They can’t make it without us.

The picture is called "City in A Minor." Why? Because I'm a geek and can name my pictures with obscure names. ;-)

No comments: