Saturday, October 28, 2006

Looking Forward to This

I just found the coolest graphic artist's forum on line. I am so excited. These are people that do the type of art I do and use the same programs. I've found a colony of fellow geeks. Yeah!  I can tell already that this new community I have found will be an important part of my artistic life. They are already responding to my questions and offering the support of one artist for another. I feel at home with them.

In the graphic's art community there are several ways that artists work. Some artists are really proficient at building 3D meshes and that is where they are happiest. Some builders will also create pictures using what they have built but some want other artists to build the pictures instead. They build the tools for others to use and many offer these 3D meshes for free use. I am not very proficient at building the meshes. That is not my strong point as an artist. I have created a couple of things but they are basically very simple designs. My strength lies in other areas.

A question that graphic artists are sometimes asked is about using downloaded meshes in our art and whether it is still considered original art if you do so. The answer of course is a resounding yes. People who purchase my art are aware that I use downloaded meshes in creating my pictures and they believe it doesn't make my art any less original. They don't care how I create my pictures they just want my pictures.

I feel the artificial argument that an artist can not use objects created by another artist specifically to be used in art is akin to telling Kenneth Branagh you aren't an actor because the clothes you wear were made by the costume department and the words you are saying were written by Shakespeare. "It is a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

The picture is "Celestial Dragon" because I feel like a dragon today and I have fiery back up now.

No comments: