Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Speeding Up Time

"The existence of created things is the existence of God." Ibn al-"Arabi

When my niece was very young she was moaning about how long it took for Christmas to arrive and wanted to know why it took so long. I tired to explain to her that time depended on the rotation of the earth around the sun and that you can't speed it up. Her reply is in the annals of great comebacks, "You can if you get out and push." My mother is seriously talking about retiring in January. Now if I could just figure out what direction we all need to push to get this little planet of ours around the sun faster so January will get here sooner.

Thinking about this little planet of ours reminds me of an astronomy book I once read. The book was talking at one point about science and God. I can't remember the exact quote or who said it but it went on the order of if you take science all the way back and you climb that mountain to the top you are still face to face with God.

I am like my late father in the fact that I am fascinated by science and scientific theories and yet I also believe in God. I don't believe that science in any way disproves God's existence. I believe it actually is powerful proof of his existence. If you take the theory of everything being created from the primordial atom you still have to ask where did that atom come from. God is there and even if you take all the rest as evolution you still have God at the beginning. It is a mind boggling idea that God could create one atom and have it bring forth such a multitude of creation that is our universe. Wow! Now that is true genius.

I enjoy reading about science and especially astronomy because I am fascinated by space. I am highly intrigued by the String Theory of multiple universes at the moment. Black holes are another thing that I find fascinating. How does it all work? How does this wonderful creation God gave us actually work? I'm not sure scientists have it all figured out yet but I can hardly wait for the next installment of research.

The picture is "Earth Rise 2" and I would love to be able to bounce on the moon. It would take off those extra pounds I want to get rid of. Besides I want to see how high Pixie can bounce in that gravity.

No comments: