Saturday, April 1, 2006

After the Storm

We had our first tornado warning of the Spring storm season last night. A storm blew through with 70 mph winds, hail, torrential rain, etc. Fortunately the tornado stayed about 6 miles from the town and didn't touch down and cause any damage. We didn't have to go down into the basement which was flooding anyway. I'm thankful for that because Mom wasn't feeling real good and it would have been tough for her to negotiate those narrow stairs. She is in congestive heart failure and some days she has a great weakness in her legs and last night was one of those days.

The postings over in my newsgroup are still going strong on the topic I had started. Some of the new people are really jumping in with both feet and a lively exchange of ideas is taking place. It is interesting to note that one woman is trying to disrupt the thread with pithy comments. She is also showing herself to be extremely shallow. A rich woman who has never had to worry about money or a bad marriage dispensing advice that shows her ignorance of the real world. She is angry because I started the thread and the newcomers are thanking me. She posted a cheep shot at me only to be shot down by the other posters coming to my defense. Right now she is lashing out at everybody who had the audacity to criticize her. She is really showing her true colors.

It does bring up the whole area of advice being given by someone who doesn't have a clue. I am thinking specifically at the advice given to a person who is trapped in an abusive relationship. It is very easy to sit back and say don't get into those type of relationships. Or just leave him. The reality is that no one willing goes into an abusive relationship. My ex-husband went off of the medicines that kept him under control after we got married. The man I was married to was not the man I knew when we were engaged. You can't always tell what a person is really like until you are in a relationship where you are with them 24/7.

Why do women stay in an abusive relationship? In my case I stayed for six years out of fear. I was warned by a psychiatrist that he would try to kill me if I left him. What people don't realize is that a restraining order is a piece of paper. Unless the person tries to kill you or harm you the police can do nothing. What a dilemma to be in. You have to place yourself in the position of being harmed before you can get police protection. If you have never lived with a fear for your life it is difficult to understand. I had to ensure my safety before I could leave him which meant making arrangements to move half way across the country.

I have survived though and for that I am grateful. I thank those people who came to my defense on my newsgroup. In times of trouble you find out who your friends really are. The picture is called "The Gift."


 

No comments: