Saturday, October 11, 2008

Customer Service?


“In divine friendship there is ever increasing respect; each one thinks only the highest welfare of the other.” Paramahansa Yogananda

“When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways: either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find inner strength.” Dalai Lama

My big brother, “Who were you reaming out Sis?”

“Sprint.” If for no other reason then Customer Service hates me because I will ream them out if they mess up on my Mom’s accounts like they did here. She had spent three days with incompetents before they finally admitted they had put her payment request in wrong, she wasn’t past due, etc. I pull up the account on line to see it still is a mess. Upshot, in writing, they are crediting her account for two months of “Customer Service” and please, please, please call your daughter off.

Any more Customer Service is a contradiction in terms. Or as Shakespeare put it, “A tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing.” And yes I am well aware of the fact that is Macbeth and he was talking about something else, after all I have a degree in theater. However the quote is still appropriate because companies these days talk about service, outsource to India (like I really believe the AOL tech with the heavy accent is called Fiona) and they read back to you on scripts. However if you make enough noise they will do something, if for no other reason then to get you off the line. You shouldn’t have to ream them out to get service. Companies are nothing without their customers. They will cease to exist. In these hard economic times you have to take care of your customer’s needs because we can’t afford to give good money to shoddy products.

So one more crisis solved. It seems for the last nine years since we lost my Dad that my role has been to fix things that he use to fix. My older brother can’t get Army back pay? I fix. My younger brother can’t get his Social Security Disability? I fix. He needs to get diabetic supplies with little money? I fix. My older brother needs a job where he has benefits? I fix. J.C. Penny, Sprint, shoddy contractors? I fix. I don’t mind doing it but some days like today I wish I could get someone to fix for me. This headache, someone make it go away.

The picture is called Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

No comments: