Thursday, October 9, 2008

Winding Down the Week


“When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible.” Mahatma Gandhi

“Human affection is the foundation of proper development.” Dalai Lama

I need to get back to writing this blog on a more frequent basis. The major problem has been a persistent infection in the inner ears that ended with me collapsing at work and in the Emergency Room last week. Two months of constant pain is getting me down. But be that as it may, I still want to get more done and said here.

Readers may notice that I usually preface the blog with quotes from Eastern philosophy. Even though I was raised as Catholic I still find myself drawn to the East. I go to church mainly to keep my mother company. She is a very devote Catholic. My own faith in God is strong but I happen to be of the view that all religions are valid and we all see the same God from different angles. I have a real problem when religions insist that they are the only true ways of seeing God.

One of the people I really admire is my niece’s new husband. He is a Presbyterian minister and married my niece and adopted her three children as his own. He has a great sense of humor and does incredible sermons. He is also a Doctor Who fan which goes a long way with brownies points in this geek's life.

I try to be as open minded as I can. I have many friends that cross about every line you can think of: straight, gay, bi, Christian, Jewish, Atheist, Buddhist, artists, can’t draw a straight line with a ruler, you name it and I probably know someone who embraces it.

As my little brother has been known to remark I am a child of the sixties and am still a left wing hippie according to him. And yes I am a huge Barak Obama supporter. I guess my little brother stills love me even though he is just as huge of a McCain supporter. After all he did send me "The Audacity of Hope". Of course it was addressed to "you left wing hippie you." I’m also a big kid who never plans to grown up. I’m a huge science fiction fan and will always be one. And as much as I love it Heroes is giving me a huge headache trying to figure out this season. Okay if we promise not to whine that it was boring last season can we tie a few plot twists together and make a little sense this year guys?

I like my heroes in the science fiction world and with only 32 more rows to go on the scarf I will be putting in both Doctor Who and Torchwood this weekend to finish up. The Doctor and Captain Jack, yeah if you are going to have heroes make them cute. ;-)

The picture is called The Stars Go On Forever.

No comments: