Saturday, October 18, 2008

Health


“Only the supremely wise and the abysmally ignorant do not change.” Confucius

“The modern economy has no national boundaries. When we talk about ecology or the environment, when we are concerned about the ozone layer – one individual, one society, one country cannot solve these problems. We must work together. Humanity needs more genuine cooperation. The foundation or the development of good relations with one another is altruism, compassion, and forgiveness.” Dalai Lama

One thing that is always foremost on my mind is health care. I work in the Business Office at a hospital and I know first hand the problems people are facing with health care and trying to pay for it. When you have dealt with tears from someone with no health coverage and no way of getting it and a bureaucracy and insurance companies that just plain don’t care; it becomes personal.

My own health is not the best. I have COPD in the form or chronic bronchitis and asthma. I am not and never have been a smoker so this isn’t something I brought upon myself. If I didn’t have health insurance through my job I would not be able to get it.

I deal with posting of insurance payments now and the reasons I am seeing to deny payments by insurance companies are staggering. The most common is “preexisting” which means the person who needs the help the most can’t get covered. I have seen labor being non covered as “it wasn’t an emergency.” I have seen the insurance company cover an operation but not anesthesiologist fees. One of our insurance companies now refuses to coverage Emergency Room visits. Medicare payments are so messed up that my mother’s doctor hasn’t received any Medicare payments in over a year. I live in the Midwest and in this little town the employment is factory based. All of the factories are letting people go because of the economy and that means health insurance is dropped.

There is a crisis in the health field and it is a heart breaking one. Lives are being affected and it feels like no one cares. We have a woman in our office whose job it is to try and fight and get help for people. She is over worked and tired but she fight on.

Something has to be done to help the people who can’t afford the premiums. People who have preexisting conditions and need medicine. I’ve checked and no way can I get health insurance on my own. $5,000.00? The insurance companies laugh at that. No way. We need to find a way to get health insurance for everyone. If people can not stay healthy they can not work and they can not contribute to the economy. It is as simple as that.

The picture is called Guardian of Health and is from my Guardian series. I am hoping to get the new website up and running this weekend.

No comments: