Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Happiness


“One drop of the sea cannot claim to come from one river, and another drop of the sea from another river; the sea is a single consistent whole. In the same way all beings are one; there is no being that does not come from the soul, and is not part of the soul.” The Upanishads

“I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment.” Dalai Lama

Things are progressing. I still feel awful weak and shaky but I feel better then I did. The heavy doses of Advil appear to be helping as has taking two different antibiotics for the infection. I may finally be getting the upper hand on this. Regardless I go back to work tomorrow. My brother says that they really miss me. I think maybe the troublemakers regret going in and whining to my boss as she really wanted me to take the time off to get well and they had to actually do some work and pick up the slack. Be careful what you wish for because it can come back at you in unexpected ways.

I think it is very true in life that what you wish for may not always be what you expected. Sometimes you get it into your head that you want something and if you only get that thing everything will be different. You find however that when you get this thing, whether it be a job or relationship or something material, and your life continues to be the way it was before you got it. Often times I believe that our expectations in life are beyond what life can offer. We expect outside things to change our life for the better when the real secret to happiness comes from within ourselves. We want to be happy but we really need to think hard about what true happiness is and what we really need in life to make us happy. I find that if what I want is selfish then it doesn’t really make me happy when I get it. If what I want contributes to the happiness of others then I find my own happiness increases and I am content.

The picture is called Autumn Equinox. Enjoy autumn while you can because winter is coming fast and coming early this year.

No comments: