Saturday, December 23, 2006

Another Early Gift

My oldest brother finally got notification yesterday that the Army got his retirement pay straightened out and he will start getting it the first of the year. Yes! Whoohoo! This year has finally seen the culmination of a lot of behind the scenes work by me. My oldest brother had given up on the Army ever getting the pay he was owed straightened out. I refused to give up on it and got names, phones numbers, email addresses, etc of anyone and everyone who could possibly help. I wrote the letters, got the documentation needed, and forced him to sign the letters and mail them. It was important not only for him but to relieve the burden of worry on Mother. My brother went into this with pessimism high and kicking and screaming all the way that nothing would work. It would never be straightened out. Perseverance works.

One of my little brothers was giving up and wouldn't fight to get the disability he needed to be able to live and pay his bills. Again I went into high gear and got all the forms to him that he needed to fill out and get in to get the money owed him. Like oldest brother he was pessimistic but he now has his disability. Another burden off of Mother's shoulders.

Both of my brothers had cars that were junkheaps. Mother was constantly having to bail them out and pay for expensive repairs on their cars. I got on line and found out where the repossessed cars were being sold and now both of them are driving decent cars. Mother paid for them of course but she no longer has to pay repair bills on cars that weren't worth repairing.  A couple of years ago Mother bought me a car. My little Amelia (yes I name my cars) is a wonderful little Honda. Zoom, zoom. I wanted to pay Mother back but she wouldn't let me.

One of the greatest gifts this year was my niece marrying a wonderful man who loves her and her children. She deserves the happiness and the children deserve a loving father who is there for them. She called in a panic when she realized the relationship was getting serious and the greatest miracle occurred. God gave me the right words to say to convince her to open her heart and take a chance on love again. I was able to use my talents to help give her the wedding of her dreams. She always wanted a Princess Bride dress and that is what she was able to wear on her special day. I made the dress, veil and flowers for her. I sang The Irish Wedding Song for them.

I was there for another brother during the breakup of his marriage. He needed the emotional support and I made sure that he knew that he had my love and a shoulder to cry on if he needed it. For my youngest brother who got me into blogging we have both discovered the "joys" of snarks. In spite of the fact I'm a liberal's liberal and he is an Orange County Republican in the San Francisco Bay Area we are always there to support each other. Are you listening world? No one attacks my baby brother. You will hear from me.

Mother is getting ready to go at least part time and maybe even retire completely now that both of my brothers are going to be okay financially. That is the best Christmas gift of all. She has little Pixie here to keep her laughing and crawl up on her lap. Mother working full time was my last big worry.

So this has been a good year. Now that all of my family is taken care of I can take some time to try and get some things done for myself. First up is trying to find an agent to help sell the books and the art work. The reaction I have had to my card for this year has been so encouraging that I realize that there is an audience out there for my work. It is time to spread the joy people get from my art around.

The picture is called A Cat's View of Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are rather the odd pair, aren't we.

Now, can someone explain why the people who in theory should welcome this Orange County Republican living in the San Francisco Bay Area instead either ignore me altogether or snarl in my direction?  I'm assuming the latter is this penchant I have for calling out trash and tripe regardless of the source.  Ties into the nagging little statement I often repeat: never become what you profess to oppose.  Those who have done so tend to be most unappreciative of this reminder.  Ah well.

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of political commentators get off on doing a power trip rather then doing real discussions of topics. Old Ancient One is always watching these talking heads where everyone is talking at the same time but no one is listening to what anybody else is saying. I was on the champion debate team when I was in school and I know how you debate and present topics and this is not it. Sigh.

I have noticed that people really don't want honest opnions any more. All they want is pablum and that is not what I give or you either. Hang in there baby brother one day someone will do an odd couple book about us. ;-)