Thursday, December 28, 2006

Priceless

You have all seen the Master Card commercial where they say how much a couple of things cost and then end with something money can't buy and call it priceless. I was thinking about things like that this morning.

My mother is so tiny she gets cold easily. I found some nice warm pajamas and got her to try them. Then for Christmas I found her a soft, fuzzy and very warm light blue robe. Seeing my mother bundled up in her new robe and knowing she is warm. Priceless.

I got both cats a bag stuffed full of new kitty toys. Watching the two of them exploring the toy box with the new toys in it and deciding which one to play with first.  Priceless.

I have a rotten cold and over the weekend I ended up sleeping a lot. Waking up to have a cat stretched out on either side of me. Priceless.

I ran my own science fiction convention several years ago. At one convention I had Peter Davison as a guest. Peter insisting that my staff find me so I could go to dinner with them and then engaging me in talk about our mutual love of theater. Priceless.

The late Ray Sharkey was also a guest at one of my conventions. He was doing autographs when he saw a couple of my staff hustling me off to go eat and he turned to someone and asked "do I need to go rescue her?" Priceless. Later as he was preparing to leave he told me "come here doll" and gave me a big hug. Priceless.

At one of the first conventions I ran the late author Theodore Sturgeon came up and put his arm around me and said "let's run off to Ireland." Priceless.

My Aunt had one of those 7-Up glasses that looked like an old fashioned coke glass but upside down. My Dad called out very seriously "Michele come quick put your hand here the bottom has fallen out of the glass." I ran over and started to do so and he broke up laughing when he realized he had fooled me. Priceless.

I hold our new kitten Pixie a lot and when ever I take her over to mother she reaches over and "bonks" noses with mom. The look of laughter and love on mom's face. Priceless.

I was talking to the daughter of a dialysis patient on my old job and was expressing sorrow at her death. The daughter told me, "Michele I could never have done this without you." Priceless.

Spending hours on a picture on the computer and not really being sure if it is the way I wanted it to be and waking up the next morning to see how it rendered and it is perfect. Priceless.

My niece when I went down to her wedding bringing the dress, veil and flowers with me and helping her get decorations and favors together and her telling me frequently, "Have I told you lately that I love you?" Priceless.

Christmas Day opening a package from my conservative Republican baby brother and realizing he bought his liberal sister Barack Obama's "The Audacity of Hope" because he knew I would want it. Priceless.

The love and support of my family. Priceless. Dad and the angels watching over me from Heaven. Priceless. God's love for me. Priceless.

The picture is called Snowy Delight.

No comments: