Saturday, December 16, 2006

Sage Advice

"Do your best. Then, don't worry, be happy." Meher Baba

I think a lot of people need to take that advice. So many people beat themselves up with I should have done this or that or I shouldn't have said this or that. They dump a load of regret on themselves for things that are over and done with. My mother is a classic example of this. I don't know how many time I've tried to tell her she isn't stupid. She has this mental image of herself as such and nothing can break her out of that image.

In life the only thing you can really do is your best. If you do that then the results will be the best that they can be. You have done everything you can and it is time to let go and move on. If you spend too much time on regrets for things that could have, should have, might have then you take any time from the now that needs your attention. I know there are things in my life that I wish I could do over but I can't. I have learned to give myself a break. There will be good days and bad days, be gentle with yourself on the bad days.

One thing you can do with your life is to try and do things that will prevent regrets. I really miss my Dad but when he was alive I emailed him almost daily and talked to him at least once a week. I spoke to him the day before he died and told him I loved him. As much as I miss him I know that he had no doubts of my love for him. It is important to let family and friends know that you care about them. Don't just assume that they know you love them make it a part of your life to tell them frequently. I love you can never be said too many times.

Some things can be redone in life. People get a second chance at happiness if they are willing to let themselves be open to it. One of the most important conversations I ever had was with my niece when she was panicking over a new relationship. She had just come out of a bad marriage and was scared. I told her that she had to allow herself to love again and not be afraid. That if this relationship was meant to be then she needed to embrace that. The result was a beautiful Princess Bride and a very happily married young lady. Open yourself up to life.

In my art I have some pictures that I was never really satisfied with. I finally realized that I could redo those pictures using the skills that I have honed since I did the originals. It doesn't invalidate the original pictures because it shows a pattern of growth in my skills. In my writing I can rewrite things I'm not satisfied with and make them better. You are not stuck in the past. Embrace the now and look forward to the future.

The picture is called Perchance To Dream.

No comments: