Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Wonder Why

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger." Friedrich Nietzsche

It is an interesting quote isn't it? I wonder about it sometimes as there is something that just doesn't make sense about it. If it doesn't kill you I guess it would mean you are a survivor but at what cost? Are you really stronger for it? I guess I just wasn't meant to debate philosophy or maybe taking philosophy in college at 8 in the morning when I was half asleep wasn't a real good idea. Then it was my freshman year and my first semester and I had Dad helping me out. It didn't dawn on my morning person Dad that his daughter was a night owl and didn't really function well before noon unless infused with massive amounts of caffeine.

I was reading someone whining about how anybody can have a blog on the Internet. For me that is the beauty of the whole situation anyone can write if they feel like it. Sometimes people read what you write sometimes they don't. I have no illusions that I am the greatest blogger on the net and that people are hanging on my every word. I write because I want to and it often helps me to get straight in my own mind how I feel about things that are happening in my life. Sometimes I hear from people who are touched by something I have said. That makes me happy. I like being able to help.

Blogging is a great stress buster too. It gives you a way of thumbing your nose at jerks who think they are at the top of the totem pole and are so important because they can dominate a newsgroup. Here it is your world and you are top of the heap. You have the final say so over who can access your thoughts and you can block people who are disruptive. You don't have to put up with jerks. I like that.

As long as a blogger has no illusions about changing the world blogging can be a tool for good in a person's life. I can get as personal as I want or say as little as I want. It is my blog after all. It is here in my little corner of the Internet where I can be free to talk about what interests me, makes me happy, makes me mad, whatever. This is my space and no one forces anyone to read it. So if you are reading welcome and I hope you like what you read and the pictures you see. If you don't there are plenty of blogs out there and I'm sure you can find someone with your own taste. Then again you can always write your own blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always believed the full quote should be:

"The synchronized beauty and horror of the Internet is thus: beauty in that everyone can join in; horror in that anyone can do the same."

Anonymous said...

Lately I've suspected blogging's true purpose is ticking off people who snap back at you that otherwise wouldn't give you the time of day.

Or at least that's been my experience the past few weeks...

Anonymous said...

Their are an amazing number of snarky people out there aren't they. I know this is the season where some people suffer because of the winter weather but I swear there is an Internet version of SAD where the S stands for snark.