Friday, November 17, 2006

Both Sides Now

I have always liked the song Both Sides Now. I'm reminded of it today by reading this morning's news that has news both good and bad. The news that really disturbed me was the model dying as a result of anorexia. It is hard enough for young people today, especially girls, to feel good about themselves and their bodies. Fashion is always pushing for thinner and thinner and the people you see in the press are so extremely skinny. The press wants to photograph the Nicole Richies and other females that are all skin and bones. If an actress gains any weight at all they are all over her with pictures showing her in the most unflattering light. Fashion seems to be aimed for women with no bodies, no curves. Diet books abound many of them not healthy eating. Cut out carbs. Cut our protein. Cut out all sugar. Very few books tell you how to eat and still get all the nutrition your body needs to keep you healthy. Yes obesity causes a multitude of problems but so does being severely under weight.

Fashion designers and the press need to take a good look at the images they are pushing. Young girls have a tough time with their self image now. They need to see that it is important to maintain a healthy weight. I had gained a lot of weight after my divorce because I used food as a comfort but once I got out of the depression I was in I took a good look at myself and decided to do something about the weight gain. The result was a change in my eating style. I love to cook and used my skills to come up with a way of eating some of my favorite foods but I made them healthier. I wrote my own cookbook with recipes I had developed that were healthy eating but still high in taste. The recipes can be found here http://members.aol.com/michelesrecipes/recipes.htm.

The thing that excited me this morning was the discovery of "dark energy" by the Hubble telescope. I am a huge astronomy buff and this validation of one of Einstein's Theories was really fascinating. I love space in all its mysterious ways. I love a universe that is continually exciting to watch and discover. After billions of years we are still trying to figure out how God did it. That is what he gave us minds for to continue to explore to infinite variety of his creation.

 

No comments: