Thursday, November 16, 2006

Compassion

"Compassion automatically invites you to relate with people because you no longer regard people as a drain on your energy." Chogyam Trunpa

One of the things I learned from my parents was compassion towards others. Right now my mother is anxiously awaiting the time to pick up Pixie. She has been so worried about the kitten being at the Vet's office for two days with dogs barking and no one to hold and cuddle her and shower her with affection. I know mom will spend the whole time between picking her up and having to get ready for work caring for the kitten.

I have been told all my life that I have a big heart. I know I have strong empathy for people and one of the things that really makes me angry is cruelty towards others whether they be human or animals. I hate seeing our beautiful planet polluted and destroyed.

I have always liked being in a job where I can help others. If I can't be in that kind of job I spend my off hours helping out with charities. We are on this planet to care for others. The world does not consist of just ourselves. A child is born egocentric but as s/he matures that child should start developing a sense of others. Other people have wants and needs also that need to be taken care of. We can't always get our own way. Sometimes we need to compromise and each gets at least a partial of what they want.

Self centered adults irk me. I always want to shake them and tell them to grow up. I do things in life for myself but I make sure that I also do for others. Sometimes it is a bit tough and there are things I miss. I put most of my things in storage when I moved in with my mom at her request. I do miss having my own place and being able to cook what I want and keep the hours I'm normally use to keeping. I have lost some independence with the move. I have also gained something that is more precious then what I have lost. I have gained the ability to care for mom in her declining years. I am here to help her with so many things. She hates to shop so I do it for her. I have the computer knowledge to look up information for her. I can figure things out that she can't. Most of all I am there for her when she isn't feeling well. I can care for her. I can give her many hugs and kisses. She can see and feel my love for her every day. That is what life is really all about. Love and compassion.

No comments: