Monday, April 16, 2007

Old Friends

I received a call yesterday from an old friend. He was the man who built my current computer and in addition to being my computer guru we had become friends. I hadn't herd from him in a while and his emails and the Christmas card came back to me. It turned out he and his family had moved to Connecticut. It was so good to hear from him because he is a really nice man. We caught up on how our respective families were doing.

It reminded me of other old friends that I haven't heard from in a while that I need to try an reestablish communications with. I think all of us have people in our lives that we wonder what happened to them. I know I do.

As you go through life many of us move around a lot and friends we made in one place don't carry over to a new place since we don't physically see them as often as we did. We are a mobile society and always on the move. We change jobs, and houses, and places of employment frequently. Unlike most of our parents we don't tend to stay in one place that long.

It is one thing that I find different in this small town I live in. A lot of the people I meet here were born and raised here and have never left. They tend to be in the same jobs they started with right out of school. Growing up we moved four times. When I was married we moved four times in six years. I have moved three times since then and will move again after my mother passes away.

In this transient life we lead however it becomes more important then ever to have a core set of values that don't change. There has to be a part of you that remains you no matter where you are. You have to believe in yourself and in a certain standard of behavior that you expect for yourself. God doesn't change no matter where you are at which is why religion does not fade and go away. Where the churches, temples, synagogues, etc. may change the core belief of the religion you subscribe to does not. God certainly doesn't change. S/he is always the same and always there for us no matter where we may find ourselves.

The picture is called Friends. As we start a new week it would be a good time to reach out and try and reconnect with the old friends that we use to have in our lives and bring them back into your heart.

The real counter is 4915.

No comments: