Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Quiet Day

"In general, I always state that I have three commitments in life. On the level of religious practitioner, my second commitment is the promotion of religious harmony and understanding amongst different religious traditions." Dalai Lama

Today would have been my parents 63 wedding anniversary if Dad had lived. I know that Mom will be depressed all day. I am hoping that Pixie will continue to be receptive to her moods and do her best to make her laugh. She is on a "chase her tail" streak lately and that should do the trick.

Mom said that one of the things that got her through Dad's death was her strong faith. I imagine today that God is hearing from both sides. He is hearing the prayers of those whose faith is strong and giving comfort to those who are grieving. He is also listening to the complaints of those who blame him for not intervening into the tragedy at Virginia Tech and stopping it. He understands that man doesn't always understand about free will and that He doesn't step in to make mankind behave. That is up to us.

Today would have also been my own wedding anniversary but rather then feeling sorrow like my Mom does for her own marriage I feel relief that I am no longer trapped in my marriage. The day had started out with great hopes for me but time intervened and I came to realize that I had made a huge mistake. Fortunately I got out of that mistake alive. Many women are not so lucky.

So today will be a quiet day. It will be a day of reflection. It will be a day of sorrow for many. It will also be a day of happiness for others. Whatever type of day it will be for people it will also be a day that God will continue to watch over us and understand if we get angry at Him because of human failings.

The real counter is 4935

No comments: