Saturday, February 3, 2007

Cold Day

"Faith is an oasis in the heart which can never be reached by the caravan of thinking." Kahlil Gibran

The temperatures are huddling in the lower teens and with the wind chill factor it is getting below zero. It is icy and cold out there. I have to make one foray out into the elements and then I plan to stay inside where it is warm.

We have often heard the phrase a warm heart but what exactly warms a heart. If we want to be strict scientists then the phrase really has no meaning but if we take warmth in the more spiritual sense as Gibran does then a heart is warmed by many things including faith and love. Faith is something you either have or you don't have. It isn't something that can be bought. It isn't something that can be explained rationally. You can't explain to someone how you know God exists you just know it.

While I have a strong belief in God I also have a strong belief in science and I don't find the two incompatible. I don't require that God have to be present in making each tiny thing in the universe. I am content to let God throw out the primordial atom and let all of creation take it from there. I find that a lot more powerful then creative design or creationism. It makes God's work more miraculous if you think of everything that has ever existed and will ever exist having a common origin in one little atom. That I find mind boggling.

Love is something that can not be bought. It was a concept I could not convince my ex of. The most important things in life are not for sale. I would rather have affection, respect, love, understanding, the intangibles then something that was purchased just for the sake of buying something. The intangibles, the gifts from the heart, are more valuable then the biggest diamond. When you give of yourself you give of your heart and that means more the a gift from the wallet any day.

The picture is called Nova and while I don't want it that hot a little more warmth outside would be nice.

No comments: