Monday, February 5, 2007

Juggling Act

"The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being." Dalai Lama

Sometimes I feel like a juggler in dealing with my Mom. It is a fine line between taking care of her and not making her feel like an invalid. She is frustrated enough with the constant feeling of fatigue and getting sick all the time because her coworkers come in sick and give it to her. She was sick again all weekend.

I let her set my coffee up for me so that it is ready in the morning. I've started taking my lunch because the food at the hospital is upsetting my stomach, too much grease I suspect. I'll let her make my lunch also because it makes her feel useful and because it doesn't take any strength from her to do so.

I spent yesterday scrubbing the upstairs and getting it all clean. It really needed to be done and I felt a little better after my own bout with the flu to do so. I share the upstairs bathroom with my brother who would never win a good housekeeping award. I also needed to make sure that my Mom didn't try cleaning upstairs because that would tax her strength too much the way she is feeling.

It is a difficult thing for my Mom to cope with not having the strength she use to have to do the things she wants. She spent most of her vacation sick in bed. It hurts to see her so upset. I give her the sympathy she needs while quietly trying to get things done so that she doesn't have to do them. I leave the easy things such as laundry for her to do so that she feels useful and that she is doing her part.

I was reading an article in the Sunday supplement how being a care giver is one of the most stressful jobs there is. It is however one of the most rewarding jobs. You take the good days with the bad and always keep in mind that the bottom line is love. You are doing this because you love the person you are caring for.

As the frigid temperatures continue I did this picture. I am calling it Arctic Dreams of Spring as I am sure the trees are dreaming of spring as much as we are.

No comments: