Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Health

"If you cannot hold even the mind and body you use, how can you expect to cling to other things and hold them?" Nyogen Sensaki

Sometimes it is little things that encourage a person do do what is best for them. In my case I know I need to exercise more but the COPD makes it difficult, however, walking really works. I took part in the Walk for Health they had here until both pedometers broke and I couldn't measure my progress to report in with. Yesterday our local Wal-Mart actually had the very accurate Sportsline that I use to own before it got broke in the move. I immediately bought it because that was my inspiration to really walk last time. Yeah I know I'm a geek and love toys. So I will be using my pedometer and taking my digital camera out for walks now that it is, temporarily at least, warming up.

Sometimes it just seems to be too much trouble to take care of ourselves properly. Junk food and fast food are so much easier when you are tired and don't feel like cooking. I don't cook as much here as I did when I lived on my own because neither my Mom or brother like spices that much and I have a tendency to use a lot of spices. Mom cooks typical Midwest style which doesn't mean lean cuisine. I do try and compensate by getting the Healthy Choice frozen dinners to try and keep the weight under control. I think starting to walk again will also help.

It is a puzzle why we can be so conscientious in taking care of family members but we fall down when it comes to taking care of ourselves. I think sometimes we are too focused on others and fail to realize that we need to be in good shape ourselves in order to help others. You can't take care of someone else if you are in bed ill. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves that we too are important and that caring for your mind and body doesn't mean that you are necessarily vain. There is a difference between taking proper care for yourself and vanity. My brothers 30 jars of expensive face stuff is vanity. That is going way over board. I use two jars of face creme, one day and one heavier for night, to keep my skin from drying out.

The best thing I ever did for my body was switching from soda to flavored water. I love the Fruit2O water and drink it all the time. It keeps me hydrated without dumping unneeded sugar in my body.

So hi-ho, hi-ho, my pedometer is on and off I go. I'm looking forward to walking again and seeing what pictures my camera can take.

Real counter 4485

No comments: