Thursday, February 22, 2007

Stress

"People who call themselves religious without basic human values like compassion; they are not really religious people." Dalai Lama

Amen to that. One of the things that really bugs me about one of my coworkers is her total lack of compassion. I don't understand how anyone can not feel for someone who is in pain and want to help them.

It is ironic that particular quote comes up when I wake up thinking of the sign that says "Stress is the body's reaction to wanting to beat the crap out of some idiot who really deserves it." I have had a very stressful few days at work and I am trying desperately to get my head above water. My desk is the dumping ground for things other people don't want to be bothered with. I listen to one coworker bitch all day about how she hates the job and our new computer system. I have Ms. No Compassion bitching across from me. My third coworker who theoretically is supposed to be helping me while I do some extra jobs for my boss keeps taking off doing projects on her own rather then manning the phones. No wonder I'm not sleeping.

I come home to the fact that Mom's heart is giving her fits and she is so short of breath these days. It is scary because there is nothing I can do to help because she is in congestive heart failure. She is taking every pill under the sun to help but her heart is wearing out.

I think one of the worse things about stress is that it is for the most part caused by things totally out of your control. I can't make Mom better and I certainly can't get my coworkers to behave. I try to shrug it off but lately it has really gotten to me. Got to work on that I guess.

One of my main stress busters is my art and writing. Maybe now that I finally had a good night's rest I'll be able to tackle my latest short story. I realized last night that I'm going to have to do a major rewrite of what I've done before I finish it. So rather then being at a place where it is 3/4 done I am back to probably taking a half back. I realized that I had given the wrong motivation to one of the characters and that is why I have been struggling so much with this particular story. When is a villain not a villain?

The picture is called Master of the Sky and I'm borrowing him to clean mydesk off at work.

Real counter 4440

No comments: