Friday, February 2, 2007

Jealousy

"In order to achieve a calm mind, the more you have a sense of caring for others, the deeper your satisfaction will be." Dalai Lama

Of all the destructive emotions jealousy has to be one of the most dangerous to a person's well being. An incident at work yesterday is a case in point. I had corrected an error back in October 2005 when a payment was posted to the wrong account. I noted that the payment was posted in error and the account that it should have gone to in the notes so that there would be no question as to what had happened. My colleague went ballistic insisting that I had made an error and when I showed her the proof of what had happened she then insisted that I was covering up for an error that my brother had made. He had written the wrong account number on the log sheet. It was a human error and he was counseled at the time to be more careful and he has been. It ended up her flipping me the bird in front of my colleagues because she could not admit she made an error.

The crux of her problem is that I and another lady were hired directly for the positions we are in because we had the experience needed. We didn't have to "work our way up" from Registration the way she had. She has spent two and a half years trying to discredit both of us. She is highly jealous and it has made her mean and spiteful towards us. Her actions yesterday were uncalled for and demeaning and I did report her and I will push to have corrective action taken. Two and a half years of this woman's behavior is more then anyone should have to take.

The person who allows their lives to be contaminated by jealousy is in the end only hurting themselves. They may drive a person away but the fact that the other person is the winner is beyond their comprehension. You can drive a person from a newsgroup because you are jealous that the person is popular with others but all it has done is diminish the newsgroup. You have proved to others that you are a petty person and it is your reputation that has suffered. The person who has left has chosen to not play your petty little games. Jealousy is the loser.

You can drive a person from a marriage because you are jealous of them but in the end you are the loser because you are alone with a broken marriage on your hands. The other person can continue their life without you. You and your jealousy don't matter in the end because the person who has left has their self respect and you have shattered yours.

In the long run I would rather have the respect of people because I have tried to help others. I truly care about those less fortunate then myself and at the end of the day knowing that I did what I could to make life easier for others is a greater reward then any material possessions I could accumulate. It is your heart and soul that is important. Jealousy can corrupt your heart. Don't let it.

The picture is called Escape to Paradise because I would sure love to get away from the ice and snow and frigid temperatures.

No comments: