Monday, May 14, 2007

At Its Best

I was working on my newest picture this weekend and I wanted to have a waterfall in it. I was pleased with how it came out. It started me on a mini vacation trip picturing some of the places I have seen. Since my photo albums are in storage I relied on my mind to do a slide show of remembered images.

Crater Lake and Silver Creek Falls in Oregon came immediately to mind. Dad and I stopped by there on our way home from college one year. Wow! Talk about gorgeous that place is it. It has everything waterfalls, lakes, trees, mountains. I love that type of scenery.

Lake Tahoe in California/Nevada depending on which shore you are on. It is a beautiful drive through the mountains and then you see this blue, blue lake stretching out before you. Breath taking! The mountains as you are heading towards skiing are beautiful to behold.

The Grand Canyon and the Painted Desert in Arizona. The Colorado River may be one of the best sculptors in the world. The magnificent colors and textures of the rock that has been carved away over the eons of time is a sight everyone should see at least once. The Painted Desert also has gorgeous colors.

Red Rocks in Colorado is another wonder I have seen. They have a amphitheater carved into the rocks and I remember seeing the Moody Blues there. The acoustics are phenomenal. They were doing Nights in White Satin and as they hit the crescendo in that song the clouds that had been covering the sky that night suddenly passed and we saw the moon and stars shining down. No special effects team in the world could have topped it.

When living in Colorado we would go to the Scotch/Irish Festival in Estes Park. A slice of heaven on earth. It was surrounded on all sides by huge mountains often still topped with snow. What a place to spend the weekend and reconnect with your roots at the same time.

Two bridges on opposite coasts are a sight to see. In New York City we saw the Brooklyn Bridge where it begins. We also saw the Statue of Liberty and even though we couldn't go on it at that time it was still an awe inspiring sight. On the other coast I remember showing visitors from England the Golden Gate Bridge. Talk about beautiful the sight of the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset is one of the most beautiful that you can see.

Yellowstone Park has so many different things to see. You have mountains, and trees, and geysers, and areas that look like you stepped onto a foreign planet. A place that I could have explored for days.

If you aren't afraid of heights the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado is a wondrous sight to behold. Hanging 1053 feet above the Arkansas River this suspension bridge is a wonder of the modern world.

If I had to pick a sight I will never forget though I would have to pick a look through the college's telescope at Saturn. To see that beautiful planet and its magnificent rings was awesome.

At its best nature, whether on this blue green ball or in space, is a sight for sore eyes. The picture is called Waterfall.

The real counter is 5145.

No comments: