Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Meow of Now

"I have taught that when error ceases, you know yourself for what you are." Saraha's Treasury of Songs

One thing about our youngest cat, Pixie, she is very much in the now. If she were an Oriental cat she would be in the Tao of Now.

It makes you stop and wonder though if we humans could learn from the cats. We are always looking to the past or the future and rarely enjoy where we are right now. Some people treat the present as if it were nothing but a necessary evil, something to get through as quickly as possible. We are a "when I" generation. When I have enough money in the bank. When I get the job I want. When I meet the person of my dreams. When I.......

It is great to have dreams because dreams make life exciting. We should have something to look forward to.The future is uncertain. No one can predict what the future holds for us because we don't have total control over it. It is wonderful to have plans for the future. Dreams are so important. We should have dreams and hopes because they prove we are alive. We should also have happy memories of the past. We should have things in the past that we can learn from. The past can't be changed.

The present though is where we are and we should be able to enjoy the present and not just pass through it. So many things are put off until the future but the future doesn't always come the way we want. One of my mother's biggest regrets is that she had always planned on retiring and she and Dad would take a cruise or trips together. That can never happen now because a sudden heart attack took Dad before those plans could take place.

We don't know how much time is allotted to us so we need to enjoy what we have now. I am savoring the taste of my French Vanilla flavored coffee. I love flavored coffee and I need that caffeine if I am going to function for the rest of the day. I enjoy my coffee while surfing the web. I am enjoying the now.

I am enjoying the flowers of Spring. Iris are starting to bloom and I am going to take the camera out in a moment and capture them for my picture section of the web site. I will share those picture with my Mom and Aunt who love flowers. They are here now and I want to spend as much quality time with them as I can.

I am writing like crazy now and blending stories written in the past into a novel of now. I am enjoying the creative process that allows me to go back and forth and recombine into a new whole.

So enjoy today. Tell someone you love that you love them. Look at the world that surrounds you with a cat's eyes. Tomorrow it will be in the past. Like Pixie who bounds from the now to the now enjoy the Tao of Now. Tomorrow will always be there. Today is tomorrows past so enjoy it while you can.

The real counter is 5078.

No comments: