Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

"Human affection is the foundation of proper development." Dalai Lama

It is a beautiful day. My mother has lived to see another Mother's Day. With her bad heart we always take it one day at a time and when she makes it through to start another day we rejoice and thank God.

The first thing mother wanted to know this morning when I saw her was if I got some good pictures yesterday on my walk. I printed some out for her and she really liked them. Her two favorite were the Jerusalem Jasmine and the dark blue Iris.

All of mother's out of state children will call her today. If she feels up to it we will go and do some plant shopping which will be my gift to her. She loves her plants and I usually make my gift some new ones for her each year. The squirrels are cute but they do keep digging up her planters each year. We may go the silk flower route for some of the pots they won't leave alone and see if that works. It doesn't work for cats but hey maybe the squirrels will be better behaved then Pixie and Merlin.

Relationships change over the years even those between parents and children. My earlier relationship with my Mom while loving was also fret with tension. I am a very stubborn individual. Gee I wonder where I got it from Mom? ;-) As the years have passed however we have been drawn closer together. That closeness culminated when she asked me if I would move in with her here at the home she and Dad had made. It was hard to put most of my things in storage and give up total independence but it has been worth it for both of us.

As mother had said when she asked me to move in there are some things that sons can not do and she needs a daughter for. It has been a rewarding time these last two years. Mom and I have drawn closer together. Mom has come to rely on me for many things and we have come to appreciate each other more. With her very bad heart our time together is at a premium. We don't know how much time she has left. One thing I do know is that when she does go I will have no regrets. She will know, as my Dad knew before her, that her daughter loves them.

The real counter is 5140.

No comments: