Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Oh Boy and Ah Man

Two phrases I tend to use a lot are "Oh Boy" and "Ah Man" both used is television shows that I loved. Sam in Quantum Leap would say "oh boy" when he would leap and find out the new situation he had jumped into and Mac in MacGyver used "ah man" when something wouldn't go as expected.

Both phrases jumped into my mind since last night. Mom finally felt well enough to come upstairs and saw my Waterfall picture for the first time and just loves it. She was especially enthusiastic about how "real" it looked. The second coming of my phrases came with this morning's mail and finding out that another artist wants my advice in my new newsgroup. It is so gratifying to get respect from a fellow artist. I experienced a lot of that respect when I was living in California and this new show of respect more then makes up for a couple of jerks in the old group.

Oh boy, ah man, yes, ack you can't do that, all came out of my mouth last night during Heroes. It was the build-up to next week's Season One finale. Where to start? Okay the first big "yeah!" came from finding out that Hiro's Dad was NOT a bad guy after all. The fact that his Dad is played by one of my favorite "nice guys" George Takei was one of the reasons I was glad that he turned out to be a good guy. Granted George is an incredible actor and can play villains but I really wanted this one to turn out to be a good guy.

The other thing that got to me was the willingness of the politician Nathan to double cross Linderman who got him the election by cheating. Part of my cynicism towards politics comes into play when I wasn't surprised. I can't decide and neither can the writers whether Nathan is a good guy or bad guy or several shades of gray. He is fascinating however I have to admit that.

Whether Linderman is really dead or not is still a puzzle. He looked quite dead as does DL. The head heavy Thomson bit the dust. I can't tell if HRG will survive or not. All in all the episode should have been subtitled "Bloodbath." Next week will show whether the remaining heroes can pull together and stop Sylar from blowing up New York City.

All in all I must say as a long time science fiction/fantasy buff I have been very impressed with this show. It does take some ability to suspend disbelief but once you allow yourself to do that you are taken on a roller coaster ride. I was thrilled to see that NBC is taking us geeks seriously and will show a spin off Origins to flesh out the Heroes world during the hiatus of our show and tell us about some of the others. I am hoping from the title that we will get to know the previous group of super powers that have been alluded to in the current show. It isn't often that a major network will actually give geeks what they really want to see.

The picture is called The Gate and is from another of this geek's favorite shows Stargate.

The real counter is 5155.

 

No comments: