Monday, July 9, 2007

Hapiness Is

Remember the old Peanuts book Happiness is a Warm Puppy? Well yesterday happiness was taking my Mom shopping. It is something we have been talking about doing for ages but somehow she never really felt like going. What was most amazing was that she actually spent some money on herself.

Our shopping started on Saturday when she accompanied me to Wal-Mart where I had an eye exam and she went around the store and found some blouses on sale and got some for herself and a couple for me. We finished up the regular grocery shopping and then I took her to church. She tires easily so we decided to wait until Sunday for the rest of the shopping.

Sunday we drove about 35 miles to the nearest real shopping center that had a JC Penny in it. Mom had a 15% coupon that they sent her for her birthday. She actually got some clothes for herself when she found more things on sale. Mom loves sales. She again bought me a couple of things. We went over to the bookstore where I proceeded to use up my gift cards and finished at Target where I used that gift card up as well.

What made yesterday so special was that it was just the two of us. She couldn't do a lot of walking since she tires easily but we did just enough for her to shop and look around at things. It got her out of the house for a change and the drive wasn't so bad that it bothered her arthritis.

She felt like talking about Dad for a bit and her observations were funny. She mentioned the loveable little quirks my Dad had. She enjoyed the outing and I enjoyed being with her. It was a mother/daughter bonding day.

Sometimes we look in all the wrong places for happiness. The joy on Mom's face when she spotted a bargain is worth more then a plasma screen TV. Just being with someone you love and spending some real time with them is what you need for happiness. Those few hours I spent alone with Mom are priceless. What makes it even more priceless is that she wants to do it again. Now I just need to rack up those points on my Debit card and earn another gift card so off we can go again shopping.

The real counter is 5587

No comments: