Monday, July 23, 2007

Must Be Monday

"What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves when we inhale and exhale." Shunryu Suzuki

"A learned person will become noble only when he or she has put into practice what has been learnt, instead of mere words." Dalai Lama

One thing education can not teach is common sense. I have dealt with too many people who are intelligent but totally lack common sense. Two of my four brothers are that way and so was my ex. You can have all the book learning in the world but if you lack common sense or the ability to understand how your book learning translates into real life then all the brains in the world won't help you cope with problems that come up.What really needs to be taught in school is a course of how to survive in the real world.

When I was in school they had Home Ed which really taught me nothing. My Dad had already taught me how to sew before I even took the classes. What should have been taught is how to budget, how to balance a checkbook, how to apply for a job, how to write a resume, how to shop for big name items, how to shop for groceries, etc. Instead of teaching us to make a fancy shrimp dish that no one will eat how about teaching nutrition? Where are the courses in coping skills? How do you explain the phases of grief for death. Everyone of us will face the death of loved ones in our lives but no one prepares you for it. Where are the skills in interpersonal relationships taught? Nowhere is the answer.

Book learning is great in its place but there is much more to life then can be learned in a book. Practical things also need to be taught.

The real counter is 5685

No comments: