Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sunny Sunday

I'm going to be taking Mom to church in a little bit. The reading this Sunday is on the Good Samaritan and it is one of my favorite readings. I have always believed that we are here on this planet to help others. I'm certainly not rich and likely to never be rich but I do give what I can to various charities. I also like to give my time to help others.

When you help others out you are also helping yourself. There is a feeling you get inside when you can help someone that money can't buy. You feel good about yourself because you have actually gone beyond the self and started thinking about others.

One of the most influential books I have read is I'm OK - You're OK by Thomas Harris. I found his explanation of how a person develops to be very interesting. We go from a child me first stage to a more mature you have needs too stage. Of course some people never get out of the child stage and their goal in life is self gratification. While it is important to be aware of your own needs and happiness it is equally important to think of others and their needs and happiness.

I love doing art work and get a great deal of satisfaction in creating something new. However it is in the sharing of my art that I get the most satisfaction. What use is my art if I am the only person who can see it?

There use to be a series of commercials about Tombstone pizza that asked "what do you want on your tombstone?" I think I want two words. "She cared."

The picture is called Morning Has Broken and is my personal favorite of the pictures that I have done.

The real counter is 5627.

No comments: