Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Childhood

 

"Happiness in comfort is not real happiness; when you can be happy in the midst of hardship, then you see the true potential of the mind." Huanchu Daoren

I added a new picture to my Guardian series last night, Guardian of Childhood. I was reading this morning that Tiger Woods and his wife have just become parents of a baby girl. Good timing on their part. ;-) Tiger was saying how this little girl is now the most important thing in the world to him and how it may affect his golf game. He definitely has his priorities straight.

Like many I have read the heart breaking story of the missing little girl named Madelyn. While my heart aches for her parents I can't help but wonder what in the world they thought they were doing leaving a four year old and two, two year olds alone while they went to dinner. Their are too many evil people in this world to not keep your children protected. I know that sometimes it is difficult to find a babysitter but leaving small children alone is never an option. Teach your children manners and take them to dinner with you. Find a kid friendly restaurant.

I see a lot of children these days with all the latest mechanical gadgets and “in” clothes. What I don't see is a lot of children with good manners or any sense of appreciation. Their are too many kids out there who feel the world owes them stuff. Wrong! No one owes them the latest video game system.

One of my pet peeves is parents who take children to the store with them and let the kids scream and carry on because they want something. If a child is taught right from the beginning that you need to behave then you wouldn't see that disruption of everyone else's shopping experience. If you can't teach your children to behave in public then get a babysitter and leave them home. Other people don't need to witness your failure as a parent. I realize that there are circumstances where it isn’t the parent's fault. My niece has a child with Aspergers and sometimes he can’t control his behavior. I am talking about children who are just plain brats and there is no medical reason for their behavior.

Children are our most valuable resource and we need to cherish them. We also need to teach them self discipline, manners and values. Spoiling a child rotten is not being a good parent. Teaching a child to be a decent human being and how to care for others is what makes a parent a good one. A child needs to be taught how to make it in this scary world.

The real counter is 5463.

No comments: