Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Listen

 

"We are on this planet together. We are all brothers and sisters with the same physical and mental faculties, the same problems, and the same needs. We must all contribute to the fulfillment of the human potential and the improvement of the quality of life as much as we are able. Mankind is crying out for help. Ours is a desperate time. Those who have something to offer should come forward. Now is the time." Dalai Lama

I was paying so much attention to Mom who wasn't feeling good that I was ignoring myself. It turns out Mom is doing okay and her chest pains have gone away. I had been ignoring the nausea that I'd been having for several days and suddenly I got really sick at work and had to come home. My stomach had been trying to tell me it had the flu. I should have been listening to what my stomach was saying.

I finished a new picture in my Prisoner series. Someone on my new group had given a verbal description based on my last picture of the hero coming back after 40 years to a ruin of the place that was once the Village. It brought a really powerful vision to my head and I was inspired to do a picture I am calling The Return.

I was thinking about the quote from the Dalai Lama. When I was younger I wanted to be able to change the world. I was full of fire and enthusiasm and like many who are young I was certain that I and my generation could fix all the ills of the world. As I've gotten older I realize that the world will continue in spite of what I think or want in the way it is going. I can't change the whole thing no matter how much I would like to.

If I can't change the world are there things I can change? I think that is the challenge all of us face. Realistically what can we do? I have come to realize that first and foremost I must live my life in a way where I am doing my best to be a positive person and doing my best to act in a manner that promotes peace and understanding. I must make an effort to be nice to my fellow beings and treat them with respect. Maybe if I show respect others can learn to show respect also.

If I can't change the world I can at least give of myself to help others. I can listen to a person who has problems and needs a sympathetic shoulder to cry on. I can be here for others. I think if I can do my best interacting with the people I am now then maybe I will have accomplished what I thought I could do when I was young. I may not change the whole world but at least my little part of the world will be a little happier.

The real counter is 5359

No comments: