Friday, June 1, 2007

Delightful Friday

What a wonderful way to start a Friday. A friend posted an interview over at my new Prisoner newsgroup (http://www.oddball-mall.com/the-prisoner/viewthread.php?tid=427) with Patrick McGoohan. He has always been one of my favorite actors. He talks about acting, his love for his wife Joan, and being Irish. He is proud of his roots and unlike some who think your ethnicity comes wholly from where you were born he realizes that his roots are being born to Irish parents and living in their homeland for many years. He knows he is Irish and is proud of it. Good for him.

I think many people try to reinvent themselves and fail to appreciate what they really are. I know a lot of people try and stick Tiger Woods as being African-American without taking into account that he is also 1/4 American Indian, 1/4 Korean, and 1/4 Caucasian. He is proud of all of his roots and he should be.

I myself am a Heinz 57 variety with Irish, Scot, Cherokee, Amish, and English mixed in there. I jokingly asked Andrew Greeley what I should call myself and he replied "Irish." ;-) I think a person should be proud of what they are and embrace all of their ethnicity and religious beliefs. Everything you are contributes to what type of person you are but you are also part of the whole known as humanity. A person owes it to him/herself to be proud of their heritage as long as that pride does not become a tool of prejudice towards others.

I was thinking of my Irish grandfather last night when a saying he used popped into my head. “Red sky in morning sailors warning. Red sky at night sailor's delight.” This picture is called Sailor's Delight and I really love it. Yes there is also a picture called Sailor’s Warning but it needs a tad more work done on it.

With a little "luck of the Irish" the weather will settle down and I can get back to my walking. There are still flowers that I need to capture with my digital camera and besides it helps my arthritis to walk.

The real counter is 5329.

No comments: