Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Words

"A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle." Kahlil Gibran

"From the very core of our being we desire contentment. For harmony, each individual's identity must be fully respected." Dalai Lama

Two days. Two different people. Two sets of words. Two different reactions.

From a response that was rude and condenscending. Totally different from how I approach things. I am willing to teach what I know and I do so in a way that does not make the other person feel stupid. In fact I go out of my way to make sure that I am not condescending in any way when I pass on what I know. You have to respect the fact that a person asking for answers is feeling a bit stupid and out of sorts with themselves because they don't know something. Knowledge needs to be passed on in a way that the person learning can feel good about it and they can say to themselves, "hey that's neat I just learned something new." You don't want the person to feel "man I'm so stupid, why didn't I know that."

This morning my Mom was upset because her car was making "funny noises." She was dead tired, hadn't slept well, had a horrible night at work, and was feeling sick on top of everything else. The man who cares for the cars said to run the car over and he would check it out. I told Mom I'd do that and she should go back to bed. She gave me a big hug and said, "I really appreciate you." Four simple little words that make me feel on top of the world.

When we use words to let a person know that we care about them, we appreciate them, we understand what they are saying then we are using words at their best. Words are used to communicate and how we use them communicates what type of person we are. If you use arrogance in your words then you show the world you are an arrogant person. If you show compassion and understanding in your words you show the world what a beautiful person you are. My Mom is very beautiful.

Mom was commenting on the picture I took last night of the rose and how much she loved it. It was so real looking she said that she felt should could reach in and pluck it from the paper. That is a beautiful image in words isn't it?

The real counter is 5518.

No comments: