Saturday, June 16, 2007

Slumbering Saturday

 

"Right from the moment of our birth, we are under the care and kindness of our parents and then later on in our life when we are oppressed by sickness and become old, we are again dependent on the kindness of others. Since at the beginning and end of our lives we are so dependent on others' kindness, how can it be that in the middle we neglect kindness toward others?" Dalai Lama

I have to wonder if people who make bigoted and hateful remarks towards and about others knew how ugly it makes them appear would they still do it? Are they so wrapped up in their own world of darkness that they can not see how they appear to others? I can't understand why anyone would want to make themselves so ugly.

I was pondering this and dreams and other things during the long night when I couldn't get to sleep. Merlin didn't help any since he had a bad case of the whines and insisted on telling me all his problems. You are a pampered indoor cat whose every needs are catered to how bad can you have it?

One of the things I was thinking of last night was what a blessing it is to have a rich imagination. I love using my mind and letting it take flights of fancy. I was watching my Geek shows last night, Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. I was writing stories for the show last night when I realized I wasn't going to be able to go back to sleep. I enjoy taking something that is already out there and expanding it. It is an intellectual exercise that I enjoy.

I am working on a new challenge that goes back to something I did many years ago. I am trying to design a set and lighting for a hypothetical play. I haven't done that since college and it is amazing how much I remember about how to do it. It is the thrill of an intellectual challenge that I am enjoying.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste. The brain has a function other then keeping your ears from running into each other. Nothing should be set in stone so that it can't be at least thought about or discussed on an intellectual level especially in the arts. Art in whatever form it takes should never be static. Art is fluid and should flow in many different directions. I make a distinction between my art and my photography. If all you are looking for is an actual reproduction of something go look at my photographs. I try to make then as artistically pleasing as I can but they are still snapshots of things that you can go look at in real life. My art is often inspired by photographs or images of real places however that is only a starting point for me. I have the freedom to change and alter the reality so my art fits what I am trying to express. I don't care in the angle of the sun in the real place is different, if it doesn't fit my vision that sun is moving. I am not doing a photograph. I am doing an art piece.

The picture is called Fly Away and that is my imagination in the ship. We are soaring and flying to places that we can only reach through the mind.

The real counter is 5445.

No comments: