Saturday, June 9, 2007

So-So Saturday

 

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." Lao-Tzu

I am feeling much better about my newsgroup. The person who was hoping to drive me away backed down. We are actually having some very good discussions on the show over there now and it is the premier place to be for Prisoner fans. I also was specifically asked to continue to show my art work. I had put up a new piece last night. It is called Wizard's Staff. It reminded me of my Dad and chess as I was doing the picture. My Dad tried to teach me to play chess. He would set up two boards one for me and one for my older brother and play us both at the same time. My brother was always so logical and Dad polished him off as fast as he could so he could concentrate on trying to figure out my game plan. I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't have a plan I was making moves that looked good to me. It is hard to defeat that kind of logic. ;-)

I was thinking this morning that Dad was probably a bit frustrated with me. He could tell, as could other Math teachers, that I had an aptitude for math and logic but just wasn't always that interested. I knew that point A would lead to point D so I would laterally just go there. If forced to I could go back and show you points B and C along the way. My answers were correct but the patience to prove them just isn't there for me. I think he would have like to see me go into his field but eventually he came to accept that my heart is in the arts.

I think it takes a while sometimes for parents and children to come to an acceptance of one another. Parents would like to see their children follow in their footsteps and naturally so. The process of growing up finally ends when each side realizes the other’s strengths and talents and accept each other for what they really are. My Mom and I are a lot closer now then when we were children. In fact today we are going out shopping. I'm really looking forward to spending time alone with her.

The real counter is 5383.

No comments: