Monday, June 18, 2007

Hot!

 

"Sense of duty is out of attachment. Sense of responsibility is out of love." Maa Purnananda

Our temperatures are going to hit 96° today. Where I work will either be scorching or freezing depending on where you are usually within a few feet of each other. They can not manage to get the temperature regulated at that place. Makes it difficult to know how to dress.

We could really use some rain as the state is about ready to blow away. The grass is a lovely shade of dust bowl brown. Yuck! Some of the summer flowers are hanging in there. Mother was happy her golden ones are still making it in spite of no rain. The lilies are still blooming all over town with the shades from pale peach to bright red-orange. http://members.aol.com/michelespoetry/more_summer_flowers.htm

I don't mind heat so much as long as it is a dry heat. It is when the humidity climbs to the same point as the temperature that I start to melt. I'm hoping that the heat will help the arthritis. I got bad news on that front the other day when the neck x-ray showed significant disc degeneration and arthritis is discs C3 through C7. Explains the constant headaches and sore neck doesn't it?

Today's quote reminds me of one of my favorite books The Little Prince by Antoine D'Experey. It is a simple little book with a profound meaning. The little prince comes down to earth to try and find someone who will give him a sheep in a box to protect his flower that is unique to all the world. Along theway he discovers his flower is a rose and not unique. It is when he realizes that because it is his flower and he has taken responsibility for it that it is special and not like other flowers because he loves it.

Pets get that way for people. I'm sure a stranger looking at Merlin would say he is overweight and grouchy. Nothing special about him. Pixie is a little black cat with spots, cute maybe but so what. To me however because I have taken responsibility for them and care for them they are unique and special. Merlin is a long time companion. He can be infuriating and loveable often within a couple of minutes. He loves me and counts on me to care for him. We have a special bond. Pixie is a rascal and a half but the joy I see on my mother's face more then makes up for the mess the little monkey makes. Currently I'm trying to convince the little minx that the solids go inside the litter box. Sheesh.

My care for my mother is a responsibility that I have taken on. It is an expression of my love for her. She cared for me all her life and now she needs me and I am there for her.

What is unique and special in your life are the people and animals and things that give meaning to your life. They are the things that you are willing to give yourself for.

The real counter is 5454.

No comments: